Recent comments

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   6 months 1 week ago

Hi Martin
    Sorry to hear about you having Covid19 but I'm glad that you are on the road to recovery. My daily fix of GGF is always such a mix of recent and archived articles that I don't think I really noticed a reduction in new articles lately. Anyways, thanks as always for your wonderful work and all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   6 months 2 weeks ago

Good hear that you are on the mend Martin. Stay positive!
    John

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   6 months 2 weeks ago

Good to hear that you're back at it Martin. GFF is such a big part of my online reading and you've done an absolute great job at it over the years. Here's to your good health!

• Reply to: GFF Survived!   6 months 2 weeks ago

Martin,
    So glad to hear you are recovering! I am sure that I am just one among many who appreciate what you have created here and painstakingly maintained over the years. Thank you, and hope you are back to full strength soon, friend!
    JK

• Reply to: Mullet   7 months 4 weeks ago

Jeff,

That's a nice looking little baitfish. That would be able to catch a lot of different species.

Martin

• Reply to: Pink Floyd   8 months 1 week ago

This is a very effective pattern for landlocked salmon. It’s origin is from the Moosehead Lake Region here in Maine I believe. I’ve used it with great success in many areas of Maine. Beautiful tie.

• Reply to: Spring Time Chub   8 months 2 weeks ago
    wow

Wow, that was a very nice video to watch. I love chasing chub with dry flies and this is a great example of the amount of fun you can have doing so. Thanks for sharing this video! Can you share which river this is? Or is that a secret?

• Reply to: Copyright policy   8 months 3 weeks ago

Patty,

You are welcome to use the images as inspiration for your paintings. I see no problems in that as long as you don't blatantly copy the photos onto paintings and start selling them. Most of the flies are tied from generally available pattern descriptions anyway.

If you would share some on the finished pictures, it would be great!

Martin

• Reply to: Copyright policy   8 months 4 weeks ago

The flies are amazingly beautiful and I would love to paint some of them if I can get permission to do so. It would be greatly appreciated.

• Reply to: Tom's Line Winder   8 months 4 weeks ago

I was looking at these pieces and being the owner of some fairly large hole saws I thought that a easy to make the pieces would be to simply use what is normally the waste from when you cut a hole and use them for the round pieces for this project. They will have the same size hole and will be perfectly round. You can then use a bolt the same size as the hole for the axle. If you use a backer board when you cut the circles you should get fairly smooth edges.

• Reply to: Fly fishing leader material   9 months 1 day ago

Great article! Thank you!

When developing leaders for my custom leader company, I’ve found that Maxima Chameleon offers the stiffest nylon. This I generally use for the first two butt sections. We switch to Maxima clear for the middle taper sections. For the final taper and tipett, we’ll use a supple material.

The above allows for great casting and line layout, depending upon the application. The diameter of the the line used can be changed as needed, also depending upon the user’s requirements for casting delicacy.

• Reply to: Nymphing Without An Indicator   9 months 1 week ago

One good reason not to use indicator is that... it can be forbidden!

Pages